Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Half-way through!

Well, nothing new and exciting as of yesterday, unless of course you count my 20 min. nap that turned into an hour and a half - I don't know about you, but I was pretty darn stoked about that! Then I made lentils for dinner - Beth's Lentils, to be exact. And I have to admit, I wasn't really feeling it once I got everything in the pot. But I did add some sausage to the recipe because my man says if you don't eat meat for a meal, it's like a snack, not a real meal! (I feel the same way about sleeping anywhere other than my own bed - that's kind of like a nap, not a real sleep!) But I digress. Anyway, I whipped up some biscuits to go with the Lentils, which always makes my man happy! He could probably live off of biscuits, if I let him. So I thought just in case he wasn't real keen on the lentils, at least I'd have a fall back! So I served him dinner and surprise beyond surprise - the Lentils were fabulous! Definitely the highlight! He even liked them better than my biscuits and just between you and me - those were some pretty amazing biscuits!!! So here you go -

Beth's Lentils

2 TB olive oil
2 large onions, diced
1 medium carrot, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
3 cups veg broth or water (I used Chicken Broth - all I had)
1 cup lentils, rinsed
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used dry)
2 14 oz cans stewed tomatoes

Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and carrot for 3-5 minutes, then add herbs and saute 1 minute more.

Add all the other ingredients, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes.

Plus, like I said, I threw in a lb. of cooked Bulk Pork Sausage, I'm sure between my chicken broth and sausage, I totally ruined all health benefits, but it sure was tasty!


Other than that, I did want to give you an update on my mom! Her MRI came back clear - that is to say, there was nothing new other than what they knew about - but they didn't check the lymphnodes, that test is yet to come. So she just needs to make plans to do the lumpectomy and radiation. She is really not excited about the radiation and looking to see if there are any alternatives to that, but what great news! Thank you so much for praying - if you can keep it up - we're not out of the woods yet!

Thanks tons!!!!

Grateful in the Tundra!

Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sarah, So glad to hear about your mom!! Wonderful. I hope the other test comes back clear too.
I think I'll take your word for it on the Lentils! No thanks. Larry feels the same way about a meal with no meat. I could eat every meal with not meat. Men. :)